top of page

Craftwork

Untitled_Artwork 9.png
IMG_1645.jpg
IMG_9401.jpeg

I started with an inexpensive satin overbust corset. I sponged on layers of metallic paint and added layers of metallic and coin trim. This corset was for the Emcee in a production of Cabaret I designed.

Untitled_Artwork 5.png
IMG_0041.jpeg

I drafted a graph pattern and then knit this 'chain mail' tunic top using fishing net twine. After I knit it, it was dyed and silvered to resemble real chainmail without the weight or distracting sound. This costume was designed by Lucia Antonio for a production of She Kills Monsters.

hunchback_notre_dame_2019-5887.jpg
hunchback_notre_dame_2019-5937.jpg

To create the corset, I draped a basic princess- seam pattern with a faux laced front and a concealed zip at center back. Each piece was cut from genuine leather, partially stitched, grommeted, and then laced. This corset was designed by Jae Hee Kim for a production of The Hunchaback of Notre dame.

IMG_4205.JPG
hunchback_notre_dame_2019-5726.jpg

This project started with a basic store bought front- closure bra. I draped a pattern over the bra and then cut the pieces from supple genuine leather. I then assembled and trimmed the bra entirely by hand. This bra was designed by Jae Hee Kim for a production of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

gold wig.jpg
Untitled_Artwork 6.png
Untitled_Artwork 7.png

This is a raffia wig that I made by stitching raffia to a contoured fosshape foundation that I had made. I then forced a finger wave and hand stitched each wave down and sprayed it with gold paint. This headpiece was inspired by the metallic bullion party wigs of the 1920s. It is entirely glueless. 

IMG_0722.png

This paper mâché mask is a replica of a traditional Pacific Northwest Native American mask. I started with a plaster face cast, built it up with clay, layered paper mâché, and then painted and decorated it. Reference photo at center.

IMG_7939.jpeg
Untitled_Artwork 4.png

These swatches are an example of my color- matching dye work. These were the final selected swatches for a ombre tiered skirt I made (pictured). This costume was designed by Bethany Burton for a production of The Wolves.

IMG_8498.png
IMG_8496.jpeg
IMG_9412.JPG
IMG_9425.JPG

The red material pictured left was the starting point for this project. It was a piece of vintage 100% silk crepe de chine that I wanted to use for a project, even though the red color did not suit my needs. I stripped the color out and dyed it all to the center ivory color. I then dyed some of the material to the shades of aqua, chartreuse, and canary that were used as accents. All dying was done using powdered acid dyes.

Reference

bottom of page